Friday, December 2, 2011

The Countdown til Christmas...

I bought my youngest an advent calendar yesterday from the Two Dollar shop which unfortunately comes with chocolate that is inedible, even for my son who will eat almost anything that contains sugar. (It did only cost $2 however, so expecting the chocolate not to be past the use-by date was perhaps too much to ask?) Anyway, the point of me mentioning this is that it now sits on the sideboard in the kitchen merrily announcing just how few days are left until Christmas. Which, obviously for my son is good news. Me, it's a little scarier.
Christmas basically means the end of the year as far as I'm concerned and between now and then, like most people I imagine, my To Do List is looking more and more ridiculous. Aside from work deadlines (2 chapter book edits, 1 short story and a picture book dummy to complete) we have recently bought a new house. Which, of course is very exciting, until I think of how much we have to do before we even move in. It's a beautifully daggy 1950s brick house very much like the ones Howard Arkley used to paint. In fact I think this Howard Arkley image I've used might be our very house (minus the one tree in the front garden.) Having been in the same family since it was built and never renovated, everything inside and out is original 1950s. This includes the rose-print carpet throughout, the flocked cream wallpaper, and, in my 18 year old son's bedroom, 1950s racing car wallpaper, which, as you can imagine, he was thrilled about. I know retro is so hip right now but there's only so much racing car wallpaper anyone can look at for more than half an hour.
Anyway, once the carpet is out and the walls painted and I've got a few trees growing in the garden to break up that bowling-green lawn, I know this is going to be a fabulous place for us, particularly as it's nearly twice the size of where we are living now. Even though I adore our tiny little inner-city weatherboard, with two huge sons and one not far behind, we are literally bursting at the seams. And the best news is that now we might even be able to have more than one guest over at a time!
Basically, our summer is going to be spent ripping up carpet and wallpaper, packing boxes and unpacking them again. With as much writing and illustrating work as I can manage in between...
Except for Christmas day. With all my family overseas including my two eldest boys, my partner and I and our youngest are going to spend Christmas day in a tent on the beach. A little island of quiet before the busyness of the new year.
So, each time my son opens a little flap on that advent calendar and I begin to panic, I just picture that image of us on the beach in our tent and I can almost breath normally again.
I hope your summer is shaping up to be a good one and that if Santa doesn't bring you exactly what you wished for you at least get some non-mouldy chocolates in your stocking.

6 comments:

  1. I'm quite partial to the old triple fronted brick veneer, they always have nice big airy rooms and the kitchens are usually big enough for a table which i LOVE. It's all very exciting, Sally. Have a paper bag handy and breathe away when the going gets too much. All best jxx PS In our house it wouldn't be Christmas without dodgy advent cals, stale party mix lollies and mass produced stockings with faulty water pistols. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jen - yes, the house has 'good bones' I think is the best way to put it. Let's hope we can be in there before the end of summer!
    Have a happy summer break and I look forward to a coffee and catch up in the new year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Sally,

    Thank you for the two books. I really enjoyed The Worry Monsters and am looking forward to reading The New Friend tonight.

    love
    Ferris and Pam

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Pam, I'm glad you are both enjoying the books!

    ReplyDelete